Promoting a Safer Church
The parish of Leyland St John is committed to the safeguarding of children, young people and adults. We follow the House of Bishops guidance and policies and we have our own Parish Safeguarding Officer(s), PSO(s) Judith Watson who can be contacted on 07840 284293. The Diocese of Blackburn’s safeguarding pages contain vital links and information including contact details for the Diocesan Safeguarding Team (DST) who advise our PSOs. Our Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser is Catherine Smith who can be contacted on 07711 485170 or email@example.com.
If you are concerned a child or adult has been harmed or may be at risk of harm please contact the DST. If you have immediate concerns about the safety of someone, please contact the police and your local authority Children or Adults Services.
We understand reporting abuse may be very difficult and that not everyone may want to contact the Parish/Diocesan Safeguarding Team. Below is a list of other agencies that are available to assist either on a 24-hour basis or through specialist helplines and services:
- NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
- Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
- National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
- Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
- Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).